Monday, May 25, 2009

A Place to Start--Making Real

There was a time when I was adventurous and sought out answers to mysteries of life. The Christian churches that I was exposed to almost always had something to say, but seemed to lack appreciation for the obviousness of certain evidence, and were willing to sacrifice any who couldn't/wouldn't restrain themselves from in depth "why" inquisitions. Science is methodical, wonderful, and informative; however; it seems that there are times that an ultimate goal of objectivity is taken to such an extreme, the observer becomes a monstrous machine capable of remarkable atrocities. Combine these two heuristics and we might have a repeat of the destruction of WWII, or beautiful inspirational people such as Nelson Mandela. At some point in my early 20s, I developed inclinations towards Eastern Philosophies of Tao, and the I Ching, and through varieties of meditations and searches, my view of time and space changed in such a way that I made it a practice to question and explore significance of "living in the moment".

Realizations that every moment that passes by is a new place to start had propelled me through my journey of life exploration. Something's happened along the way. It has been sometime since I have engaged in making (myself) real. Philosophically, one is not able to make (self) real if one is not examining perceptions in accordance with what is real. Such a curse and blessing of human existence it is to have some concept or awareness that what is experienced (sensory and emotionally) is only minutely, if at all, related to what is real.

So with this kind of information to work with, now what? Zen buddhist says, "Chop wood. Carry water."

No comments: